Recipes and tips
In addition to its super nutritional assets, endives are one of the easiest and fastest vegetables to prepare. Endives can be eaten raw or cooked, which makes them popular all year long!
Tips and practical information
Select your endives carefully :
a good endive is firm, the leaves are tightly wrapped and the edges are slightly tinged yellow or red, depending on the variety.
Store your endives well :
Keep your endives away from light – they will stay white and bitterness will not increase. Place them in your vegetable drawer, and enjoy them within 7 days of purchase.
Prepare your endives :
- You do not have to wash endives, simply slice of the base and remove a few outer leaves.
- When serving raw: remember to hollow out the base of the endive to reduce bitterness.
- When serving cooked: there are many ways of cooking endive. In a pan, in the oven, in a skillet, microwave, wok, steamed or boiled. You can even combine cooking methods. For example, you can cook the endives 5 minutes in the microwave then sauté them with a bit of honey to obtain a milder taste.
- To keep the lovely whiteness of the endive, sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice on top just before you start to cook them.
- In the frying pan, to obtain a subtle-tasting sauce you can deglaze the sauté pan with orange juice.